Friday, May 13

Words, Words, Words

Things seem really terrific at the moment, it's almost hard to believe it. I got quite a few things to look forward to. The biggest, and best, thing is that I managed to get a part time job this fall... teaching writing. Writing! Creative writing! I feel so lucky. My employer sounded really positive, already when she first called me up, but I still wasn't expecting to actually get the position even as I went to the interview. And the interview was more of a so-how-would-you-prefer-to-plan-these-writing-sessions and here's-how-much-you're-going-to-get-paid than your traditional interview. I really had no need to be nervous. The position is at an open form of school, where people of all ages and backgrounds pay to take courses in various subjects. The job stretches over a couple of weeks and I can't wait to get started. I'm really inspired and want to get started to inspire the others, too. I'm also excited because the pay will definitely help me get to London over New Year's. I'm so looking forward to that (although I could do without the winter that inevitably follows).


I got into the 3D-sculpting summer class, meaning I'll be learning some well-needed extra 3D modeling during the summer while also trying to work a little bit; and I'm the 8th reserve to get into a writing class in English that would be perfect to take before I start to work. Hopefully, people will have found other things to do during the summer and decline their spots so I can spend parts of the summer writing. It'll be nice preparation and hell, nice fun too. Also, I read about some kind of Nanowrimo camp where they are going to arrange a Nanowrimo outside of November, which I might take inofficial part of. We'll see. I definitely have enough projects as it is, hell knows that. But just in case summer and all this sun I'm so unused to would bore me, ha, ha.


We're taking a class currently called Digital Cultures that has actually made me stop and think (who knew?). We've been discussing the idea of creating worlds, in which multiple, complex and related stories can take place and together make up a whole, rather than creating a single, one-way story. Worlds with multiple stories within it can cross platforms, and play out in different medias, but still be part of the same universe. I've found this thought so enticing that I've thought to experiment a bit with it in my current novel project. Overall I'm thinking to do some changes to the story after some late night thinking a few days ago - I will no longer tell it from first person but instead from third. This is because telling it in first person will reveal much more about the main character's thoughts and feelings, without even me intending so, and I want to twist the story a bit more into the cryptic. Secondly, I won't tell it entirely chronologically, but rather explain some events as I go, to the extent they need to be explained. Thirdly, I will try to create the universe and the idea of the universe, style and intention of it, and then let this story be one of many that take place within it. The real challenge here is to create a world so believable, yet different, and at the same time rich enough to provide a wide network of possible side references (this, to a non-writer, or even some writers, may seem a bit too intricate, but I actually do find it interesting, and challenging). Who knows? Maybe I'll put something together out of bits and pieces of old gems. Or create it from scratch. We'll see. All I know right now, is that Terry Grant is one of the important sub-story characters, that there will be some element of broadcasting (an invention of mine rather than the traditional sense of the word) and that Five-Eyes will be present, at some point.


In fact, I think I'll head off for some world-creating right now.
Cheers,
POET IN THE INSPIRED JAR

4 comments:

  1. sounds simply awesome, creating another world I mean... sigh I wish I had time, inspiration and energy for something like that too!

    as it seems like I will have no job for the summer, I decided to try put together a proper collection of my poems, even translate some from English to Finnish, and send them to a publisher of some kind. or a few publishers if that one doesn't work out. But I'll be trying that out. I don't want my summer to be completely useless. I could also finish up the 100 themes challenge (I've done only 14, sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 themes? Sounds like something I could use for the writing class (not 100 but maybe 5 xD). Yes, I think mostly it will be putting bits and pieces together of existing ideas that I have and trying to make the world unique somehow. I don't want the world to be all that different from ours, but rather have small differences. We'll see what I can conjure up, I have some nice ideas going.

    That sounds like a very good idea. Even though I can't understand your poems in Finnish, I think that just practically-wise it will be easier to get published in Finnish than in English (I've tried so hard to find publishers that accept English scripts but there are basically none in Sweden that take fiction, and online half the sites or more are just spam).

    I want to dedicate this summer to creating, too. I still want to get one of my novels up for publication on the site I told you about so that maybe it could generate some modest income but I'm lazy to edit the thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, the theme challenge great... though the rules are not that strict, just mentioning the theme word is enough and that way it's not so hard either. but if you want to make it more challenging, you can always make more rules. I've mostly used it for fanfics.

    yeah and I still prefer my Finnish ones. and it's the only way to get published in Finland too. though poems are always tricky one.. they don't sell that much, you see. but I have nothing else to do so I can always waste my time on that. at least I can then say that I've tried. but it would be so cool to get something published at this age! I think I would be one of the youngest published poets/writers in Finland. awesome.

    editing is so boring, I totally understand why it's not so tempting to do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I know, I hate editing. All my novels would take that step towards being thought out and such if I just looked them over, but it's so dull. It's much more fun writing something from scratch :)

    Yeah, haha, why not try? Also you could look around for different writing contests, that's usually a good way to get published in newspapers or so, although they're kind of rare. I'm looking currently for possible publishers but it's very difficult... Chels sent me some links to a few Canadian ones that I can try, and hell, why not. I don't have any better ideas.

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories