Saturday, September 8

Journeyman

Weren't you my journeyman
Didn't we watch the stars together
Didn't we map the world together
Weren't you my journeyman
When we set sails together

For ages we rode the vast uncharted sea
You still remember the oldest fragments of me
You should be able to see patterns, pictures
I should be able to see constellations
We should still be charting the seas
Somehow we both wandered
Somehow we lost ourselves
Among the islands

Weren't you my journeyman then
Weren't you always
What happened to us

When the falling snow draped the landscape
When the northern lights were what lit our way
When the mist tried so desperately to lead us astray
We navigated together
Through reefs and cliffs
Cleaving the waves
Journeyman,
We could have been saved

You should have held on to every silver key
When I drifted, you should have held on to me
I can't trust a journeyman who'll let me drift
Who'll let the winds carry me away
Did you know I lost everything
In those storms
Did you notice,
Journeyman?

What have we become by now but caricatures
Hardened hearts and dying desires
Drenched in salt and scorched by fires
What have we become by now but stone
Stone statues with memories of old days
Carved into our withering hands

Weren't you my journeyman
Didn't you explore the fields with me
Didn't we search the forests and hills
Before we wandered, before we lost ourselves
Didn't we laugh together, and gaze at the glimmering, frozen water
Weren't we on the same crew, the same ship
Hurdling together with shivering fingers and freezing lips
Now I'm fighting with a loneliness
That slowly kills
There's nothing left for us to chart
Nothing left for us to say
Even thoughts are obsolete
When time has swallowed everything that was
It's too late to save us
Too late to find our way home again
Too late to be my journeyman

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Dust And Memories