Tuesday, February 19

Everyone For Themselves

Everyone for themselves.
You know, I was listening to this song playing on the radio the other day, going a bit like this: "Give me love, love is what I need to help me know my name". What? You need love, or you don't know who you are? Well, that just tells me loads more about yourself than it does about love.
Think about it for a second. This guy, singing the song, he needs someone else to love him in order to feel complete. Meaning, he needs someone else to confirm him and see him, meaning he needs someone else to define him. Or else he's bloody lost.
I don't know. I mean, sure. Loads of people think like him, ya know? Think that if they're not seen and confirmed by others, they're nothing. Loads of people think that love is the ultimate thing, and they actually want it, dream of it, long for it, need it. And yeah, I know, sometimes it can bloody kill ya to be alone. To be lonely. But that does not mean that without someone loving you, you're bloody lost.
In order to love someone else, my sis always says, you gotta love yourself first. And I think she's pretty damn right. Pretty, damn, right. If I'm strong in myself, enjoy myself, like myself, if I know where I stand and who I am as a person, well, then I'm both a hell more interesting person than someone who isn't, and if love should strike me down (cause it does at times), it won't matter. I know myself well enough to bounce back into the old me the minute that happens.
Don't try to tell yourselves you need to be loved. Love yourself instead. After all, the only person you can be absolutely bloody sure you're going to spend every minute of the rest of your life with, is yourself, right?
And if I think about it, the more I'm convinced that I'm right. Even if I look out among my friends, right? The ones who are independent, got a strong personality, and won't change for other people's sake, those are the ones you just love the most. They've got so much depth and they always make things happen and you just go along smiling to yourself, knowing, this is good, right? These people know what they want.
I don't know about you, but how intrigued would you be by some fella sitting in a corner afraid to utter a single little word in case someone, oh horrible thought, might disagree?
Even as I'm writing this, I know there are people who'll disagree. But that's the thing. What, you thought you could just walk right on through life without ever, ever, disagreeing with anyone, or having anyone disagree with you? I bet ya, doing that diplomat kinda thing is gonna lead you down a more complicated, tip-toeing road than the honest, however crude, will ever do.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Or by the way, no, please don't. Just absorb, dammit.
PS, I don't know if I mentioned it, but a while back we did a thing in school where we had like three hours to write an essay on 500 words? And the Nano part of me just threw myself over it, eagerly dissecting all the essay rules I could think of, resulting in the most sarcastic little piece of text I think I've ever written, all on purpose. And guess what? Got it back today with the highest grade. Only one remark: "Don't use contractions". Lol. I didn't see that one coming, but it sure as hell is a punch in the face of my old English Writing teacher. DS.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on this one, like everything else. :D So happy for you on your essay btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It rocked my world to get such a good grade! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you on this Becca. Great job on the Essay BTW. Sarcasm is probably the best idea ever founded by mankind! :P

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories