Sunday, December 2

Manically Grinning Exclamation Marks

Wow... it's over. I've done it. I crossed the line to 50K and I even did it on time. I can't believe it's over and done with, nor could I ever really believe I was going to make it...
Not on me first try, me first year.
But I did.
Can't help but to say... YEAY! WOHOO! And all other types of thingies that could be labelled as 'short expressions followed by exclamation marks, usually emphasized in a manically grinning manner using not only the vocal cords but also the major parts of happy facial expressions and enthusiastic body language'.
Yeah I know, at least this mad word race has taught me something; to say what you really intend to say in one word in like, one word times twenty. Word-pooing, they say at the university whenever we get like, a home exam on some vague question to which there isn't really any good answer, but that we're required to do some sort of fixed amount of words if we wanna pass.
They got a point there.
I've been talking about Nanowrimo ever since I enrolled, one or two days before November began, and all you fellas might be starting to get bored of it. I could make this blog post about something else. Something more enticing, that would catch your interest in an instant and keep it there, something really useful that didn't involve me doing promotion for something or pulling some lame anecdote about my writer's struggles.
But naah.
I'm not gonna.
Maybe cause this place is all about a writer's struggles, that's the whole point why I rigged it up in the first place, almost a year ago (can you believe it's gone by already? I hardly can). Maybe cause my writing is my life, and this insane, month-long experience is one of the hardest thing in writing I've ever come to do.
Maybe it's most of all cause the day November ended, and there wasn't any obvious goal anymore, and no deadline constantly hovering above my head, I realized it felt empty.
I felt empty.
My writing's been all revived thanks to this project. My story may have reached 50,000, but it's far from over yet. I'm going to tell it. I'm going to finish it. I'm gonna do what I always used to do in the past, which is put my goddamn writing first, before everything else.
I have something to strive for now. And I know, for anyone not a writer, it sounds crazy. But I'm starting to find some bits and pieces of myself again, starting to gather that puzzle together and make some sort of sense of my life.
And that's why this post's about Nanowrimo. Without it, I'd still be fumbling in darkness, not caring about anything, not knowing about anything. You get a sense of achievement along with doing it. A sense of discipline. A sense of amazement before what is possible to do if you just put your mind to it and work damn hard to get there.
So I'm proud of myself. And I'm glad that I'm able to feel proud of myself, too. These 50K are the beginning, now I'm ready to get the whole world.
I'm gonna stay off the Nano forums for a while, until my work with my novel's starting to look like something actually finished; but I'll come back here, so watch out...
This isn't the last you've heard of me, haha...

5 comments:

  1. Its good that you finished, its great that your still going and its damn miraculous that your spirit has risen to the point that you can write when before you'd simply quit, its a great thing, amazing job Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are SO proud of you too sweetheart! I knew you would make it, I knew it! =)
    I like the new layout btw, I think it's better than the previous one; it was so hard to see through, with all the red and black mixing with each other.
    Anyway, congratulations again! Can't wait to get a copy of your story. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank y'all. =D I'm glad you're impressed, cause I've even impressed myself, haha! :P It just seems that nothing matters when you got something like this going, you go like, "what difference does it make if I do the dishes or not? I'm writing, I'm gonna be immortal, the dishes aren't gonna help me with that". Haha! No seriously, it's been great, but I can't deny that I'm glad to have it behind me. Now I won't have to worry until next year :)
    Thanks for the comment on the layout, sweetie! yeah, I felt it was time for a change because of a couple of reasons: 1. this place should look more like a writer's place, and 2. I'm not that dark anymore. Can't believe I just said that :D
    I'm very glad that you kept believing in me throughout all of this, it kept me going. I wouldn't ave made it without you. And for that I'd like to give y'all an enormous, electronic cyber-hug *hugs everyone*

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks becca, for the hugs, the praise and the inspiration

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories