Tuesday, April 19

Gatekeeper

Maybe the downfall is just what I need
The downfall into thoughts and doubt
Maybe it can help me break the blocks
Of rock that pile up ahead
And make everything seem impossible
Maybe I could harvest that power
And turn it into something useful
For unforeseen situations

Maybe I decided on the wrong color
For the paint that breaks into dry flakes
On my walls and become like chains
Telling me who to be, how to react

Why would I need a makeover
To fit into your every twisting need
To transform myself, and dance along to your music
Dressed in the colors you chose for me

Why should I tone myself down
Lower my voice so my whispers won't disturb you
When I just wanted to speak my mind,
Regardless if anyone was listening

I prefer not to conform to what you might want
And not to respond to your every wish
There are greater things than the trivial and daily
I want to be there, for when it happens
Pack my every brown paper bag
And drag them on the train

Maybe I'll go when the sun's out
Maybe I'll go when it rains

I tire of you and your grasp on me
I defeated you once, and more
Isn't that enough for you
Aren't there others you can possess
So your voice can be driven out of my mind
I want to welcome the light, the underwater dream
But you always come back to block me, to stop me
Maybe all you want is to be taken down again
Is there a thrill in the downfall
A thrill in the fall

Maybe I could harvest that power of yours
And turn it into something useful
For unforeseen situations
Maybe I could manage to imprison you
Instead of always trying to kill the immortal
Would it be impossible for a prisoner to turn the table
And switch places with the one who put me here
Maybe if I did that I would stand a chance
And maybe it would be your turn to tire, of me

I can't even say that I fully hate you
Without your hold on me I wouldn't write these words
I wouldn't be able to create other worlds
Is that why you are still around
To work in the silence
To enable the gates to stay open
To make me the gatekeeper

To visualize the keys

2 comments:

  1. "I can't even say that I fully hate you"

    that simple line was the most meaningful to me. it's just... strong. and nothing is ever simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I saw that it inspired an entire poem :)

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories