Saturday, April 16

Shining Letters

There's an overwhelming sadness in me
That not even your laughter can drive away
It came from the depths where I had deported it
Returned from where I had banned it
That sadness and that pain

It spreads through my heart and my eyes
And forces me to see the world
In a different way
It tells me this is the naked truth
I must trust and follow
It tells me all my smiles are worthless
What do they mean, at the end of the day
When the shadows appear out of nowhere

Can you hunt down your demons with light
And turn them into defenseless things
Can you chase away the sadness
And all the tow it brings
Is that why you always leave the light on

When I wake from a faceless dream
And the contours of the room aren't still
What good will it do me with light
What will be changed
If the room
Is kept bright

I was always told to forget about things that have been
To shun away what I've seen in my dreams
How do I explain that I dream in the day
And that the past just isn't willing to go away


Can you hunt down your demons with light
And turn them into defenseless things
Can you chase away the sadness
And all the tow it brings
Is that why you always leave the light on

Can the smoke in this room become the air that I breathe
Can everything be tiring, everything I see
Maybe the words were right, the words that stood out
In shining letters
Maybe this is really how dark things are
And you can never get rid of the undertone
You can never really reach for bliss
Not even when ignorant, like this

So take your comfort in your muse
And cling to it in the darkness
Use it to channel the subconscious
Into images and words
Isn't that how it was always done
Isn't that how it will always be done
Can you deny that once it's gone
When it's gone and you realize you miss it

You miss the demons
Without the demons you aren't alive
And they were right when they said
You lost the meaning of your smiles

4 comments:

  1. "I was always told to forget about things that have been
    To shun away what I've seen in my dreams
    How do I explain that I dream in the day
    And that the past just isn't willing to go away"

    I've read it for quite a few times now but still.. it speaks to me, it really does but I don't completely understand what it's telling me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about a few things. Partly it's about how we go on with our lives as if there was no bad things in the world, when it's actually very dark, filled with war and crime and death... but partly it's also personal, about your personal demons. How you can't entirely rid yourself of memories from the past because no matter how much you think you've gotten over something, it can come back and hit you in the face when you least expect it.

    I hope this clarifies the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it does but on the other hand, I didn't even need it(not that I don't appreciate your efforts to make me understand it). I mean there's something about your poetry that makes it unnecessary to fully grasp the idea because the words and the feelings it gives are more important, more beautiful than the explanation and the true meaning. It's enough that it speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes and most of the time I try to avoid explaining the poem just because of that very reason, it has different meanings to different people and that's the whole charm of it, too. Though in this case I actually considered attaching a description to the poem, then ditched the idea, so having it in the comment section works for me anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories