Friday, August 26

Oh, That Sweet Smell Of Recognition

Or that may be an exaggeration, but to hell with it, today I've reason to celebrate and I'll damn well celebrate, if only in the written word. And the written word is exactly what is celebrated. Today I received an email telling me my short story Trygghetszonen (The Safe Place) placed in the top 10 in Icakuriren's contest. This was the first contest I submitted to this year and now here are the results. I don't know my exact placement, only that it was somewhere between the fourth and tenth, but the good news is the prize. Half the prize is a bundle of 'inspiring books', the second half is publication, along with the other nine stories in the top 10, in Icakuriren's anthology of the winning entries. So! One baby step towards recognition! Really it doesn't matter what happens next - the confirmation is enough, for me. That maybe I'm not wasting all that time I'm "sitting on my chamber" typing away but that someone out there might find my words worth something. And publication really is the best prize I can think of. Congratulations to me! It's very rarely I get to be this bragging and selfish, but it's worth it. I feel like I'm invincible right now, and the news even made me go finish up that story that didn't seem to want to end itself, so that's yet another good thing that came out of this.
Now remains to see how the other contests go. I don't have high hopes for the fourth one, for which I've written absolutely squat, the prize money is ENORMOUS, and many established writers enter; but on the other two, who knows. One has been submitted and I'm waiting to hear about it, one is finished and will be submitted tomorrow, and the third has been half-finished - but since it's dependent on the events on the second one, I suspect finishing it will go pretty quickly. Let's all cross our fingers that this is not the last you'll hear from me as a writer.
ADIOS!
POET IN THE JAR

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Dust And Memories