Wednesday, June 4

Less Than Reason

It's not easy.
Who said it would be?
My mum's solution for all kinds of problems is "everything happens for a reason". Whatever problem you lay before her feet, she immediately starts pondering in detail what the reason for it happening could be. It can drive me totally bonkers! Believe that there's a greater destiny for all you want, but admit it, we humans mess things up perfectly on our own, without any divine intervention. Sometimes it seems to me that people hide behind the "reason" idea so that they can just pass everything on as "meant to be", accept it, and live on.
Am I stupid not to do that?
Sure as hell I'd like to believe it. Sure as hell it'd make everything so much fucking easier. And why?
Let me tell you why.
It's because the idea was invented for all those people out there in the world who aren't grown enough to take responsibility for their own actions. Cause - effect. If I slap you in the face, you will be hurt. If I give you a compliment, you will probably smile. Cause - effect! Nothing else.
But my Mum goes, "well, if you hadn't done that, then this and that wouldn't have happened" and makes all the fucking bad stuff appear as though they paved the way for some mysterious, greater good, some mysterious, greater purpose.
I don't buy it.
If I screw up, I've screwed up, and I gotta face it, gotta deal with it, and have it overwith. I gotta face the anxiety and the regrets.
All you others just try to catch the easy way out...

2 comments:

  1. nice way of putting things Becca. I completely agree. Those who say theres a greater reason for everything are hiding their stupidity behind a painted veil, I used to do that but that was a while ago. Doing so simply pains pictures on a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to find you agree with me, I was a little worried I would be butchered by someone by making this post. But it's a core concern of mine, and I had to get it out. =)

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories