Sunday, September 26

Lemonade And Skin Peels

Right, time to do another one of those neat little rants I usually do so well. Redecorating my room in order to redecorate my head, as usual; keeping myself busy to keep myself off track. Nothing new in this, nothing new at all, like in the way I will peel off the skin from my lips whenever my mind and heart tells me it can't make it anymore. I drove, and drove, tired of driving, tired of having to be alert, tired of missing turns and running out of gas; drove while my lips bled, and colored my teeth red. This time there was just a bigger wave than usual with the tide, a worse than usual visit to the city I called home for four years, the place I used to think was big and exciting when I was young and the city I used to associate with my grandmother and lemonade and cookies on the porch. I got older, the world moved on, and the associations got replaced with other visions and other memories that cut me through and feel more real. The memory of a lover who left, the memory of an almost-suicide, the memory of sleeplessness and therapy and depression, the memory of friends failing your trust, the memory of an almost-rape and violent thrust. Old, old, old. I'll rather have the lemonade, rather have the cookies, rather run around on the lawn while my grandfather sprays us with water and we laugh; rather have all the warmth and all the bike rides in the summer and that we used to take sticks and pierce through leaves while pretending we were printing ink in books. Instead I have the times I drank, the times we got high, the times you left me, the times you killed me, killed me, killed me.
It would be so much better if I had ceased to feel, ceased to care, if all the voices in my head had shut up, if it had all had at least made me into a convenient vegetable, then I could understand the point of all this madness that came by randomly but felt as if it was the universe's dark side directed against me personally. I wish it would have taught me not to fall in love with hopeless cases, taught me not to be a hopeless case, taught me not to drink so much, taught me not to care, not to think, not to thoughtlessly hook up, not to thoughtlessly fucking bother. No matter how many times you change the place you live the rest'll be there, luring in the background until it can stab you in the back. Even in a new place, full of new faces, there'll be the same drama, the same tension, the same human fucking disaster that's infected everything and everywhere. The difference is what you choose to do with it in the aspects that you still might have any chance to choose, any chance to affect. In Chasing Ella, Jake says to himself, 'I have to believe I am still in control, I have to believe I can still affect things' with the desire to be in control of what is going to happen and what he is going to do but even as conscious as he is about this he fails. We'll all fail. Even if there's no great destiny out there for us, even if you as Maddy describes in the same book only 'could be something', we still can't pick what's going to happen. We can plan perfectly where to live, what to study, where to work, but we can't choose what we're going to feel, and in my eyes that's what we're all down to in the end. Towards the end all you'll ever really be able to know is what YOU know, what YOU saw, what YOU felt. It makes no sense to dwell on what other people think or see or feel, or try to interpret what they mean by things, when you'll still never be able to quite fully figure them out; and still it's what we do, over and over again, in our meetings with others. We analyze and analyze and analyze and never get them figured out and we never get ourselves figured out and so we pay expensive money for some therapist to try and figure us out and do all the hard work for us. But what can they tell you that you don't already know? You can only know what you know. Experience points, my lad, is what it all comes down to in the end.
POET IN THE PONDERING ANARCHY ONLINE-ISH JAR

5 comments:

  1. exactly. the drama fucking follows. I just found myself wondering again, like I´ve always done, if those people around me like me or not, if they want me or not, if they´d miss me or not. The answer felt like "yes" two days ago. Now it´s obvious "no". I´m so tired with these games.

    but it still doesn´t mean that you couldn´t fight back. Fresh start is still the best thing you can get and have when things go really wrong. Hold on to it and don´t let it go to waste, honey. If you can´t fo it, how could I?

    I´d like to kill my feelings for that girl right now and let go of her. she pushes and pulls and I don´t know if she does it on purpose or not. and I don´t want to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drama follows you
    from your past life to your fresh start
    which you surely imagined to be something great
    but yet again you find yourself fighting the same problems
    the one you left behind so many times,
    the one you thought through too many times
    to be remembered
    And the questions you never managed to answer
    are still waiting for your attention

    You tried to find someone else to do the math
    Someone else to tell you what to do with your head
    It can´t be working right
    because if this is normal, how can all the others survive?
    But the questions remain,
    obviously immortal
    They never range
    because the drama is always the same

    Regardless of what you try
    regardless of who you meet
    Regardless of what you want
    you find the same doubts again
    You can leave everything behind but not escape
    You´d like to believe you could change eventually
    How come you don´t see already that you can´t?

    Struggle, honey, struggle
    That´s what you promised
    but you´ll never kill your enemy
    unless you take your life
    ----------
    just go so inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -too see the fixed version go to my blog. had to edit it a bit-

    ReplyDelete
  4. :O

    That is like taking my life and turning it into poetry... and still it's so true, so real, so hurtful. The very reason why I love your poems so much. That made my day. Thank you doll <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. unfortunately it fits me too at the moment. you´re welcome :]

    PS. I had another argument today with her. it was totally stupid: she was studying for an exam in the living room and I said to her something like "oh so you´re 'reading'" and she got mad at me. "that hurt me!" she screamed. "like I was being serious", I answered. "still! and could you shut up, I´m trying to study here!" yeah right, the girl who just left SURELY wasn´t talking at all...
    anyway, she left the room so angry and I was just about to run after her to apologize when she came back and asked me to come to her. so I walked across the room and she hugged me and said she was sorry. I´m just to tired with that game already. five minutes later I´m like air to her.

    PPS. Sorry for spamming.

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories