Tuesday, September 21

Piece Of Paper

I hold a piece of folded paper in my hands
Origami, a letter without letters
In the draft from the windows
I blow on this piece of paper
Meaning to give it wings
Let it fly where I never did
And look at the world with my eyes
Look at it all sadly
And shake its little paper head
Until it's hit by rain

And I close my eyes
And see all the places it saw
Feel its fear, surprise, and awe
It's so small, and shivers
New to this world
Already shunned away

I built a field of torn pages from books
That will never be written
And I made roses from the blank sheets
While the ones with words became the streets
You can step on everything I ever wrote
Step on it to see
All the paper that is still
Empty

This is a little piece of origami
My last chance to make it out alive
A little bird, in my shaking hands
Without words
Without a heart
Only a faint and frantic heartbeat
Afraid of the air, the ground
The staring eyes
Of winter

Please, please, fly
Please, don't crash
I need you to live
Little bird, please
Don't die

You're an extension of me
The only way I can explain myself
To myself, in words
Just fly, don't let your heart explode
Just fly, be blank
And let me go

Little bird
Little piece of paper
In my hands

4 comments:

  1. Wow just wow. This is just great the whole thing is just <3 An extremely well written piece by an extremely talented poet. Words cannot describe how much I love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it means a lot to me. I like it as well. I think it can be interpreted in many ways and I encourage people to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it´s so beautiful!

    "You can step on everything I ever wrote
    Step on it to see
    All the paper that is still
    Empty"

    and so sad as well. I like the imagery and yeah. it´s so beautiful. touching.

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories