Friday, November 9

Stay On Target

Just got up, I got like... just over two hours to finish today's share of 1,667 words. I did it yesterday in an hour and a half (!) so I think it's manageable, if I just disciplin myself. I spent some time on the nanowrimo forums the other day which earned me a couple of tips that made it twice as easy to reach the right number on time. I'm gonna write some of them down here just to make some sort of a pep talk for myself.
1. Keep a note next to the computer or wherever you sit down with your writing that says, "Stay on target!". That way, every time you feel like giving up and doing something else, you just look at the note and get a bad conscious and move on.
2. Put up deadlines for yourself! Yesterday when I was writing I looked at the time and said to myself, "I have to write 1,000 words within one hour," and when that hour was over, I had. Sure, it was a frenzy-like writing hour but hey, that's the whole point of it, anyway. Minideadlines within the deadline, so to speak. Works for me!
3. Separate writing time from break time. If you do take breaks, which I rarely do when writing cause it disturbs my flow, make sure you take them properly. If you're taking a ten minute break, DO NOT start writing again after eight minutes because you felt bored. Wait those last two minutes as well and you'll be twice as enthusiastic about it when you sit down again.
4. Think about your novel. As often as you can. Trigger your imagination when in line at the supermarket or on the bus or anywhere you might be, it'll build up your anticipations for when you get back home and you'll (hopefully) throw yourself over your novel to get writing. Also! Can't hurt thinking about the novel when not actually writing it, cause who knows? Suddenly you just might get that idea that's gonna solve all your plot problems.
5. Keep a large bottle of water next to you. When you don't know what to write next, close your eyes for a second and have a zip of water, it'll pull you back on track in no time.
6. Don't know what's gonna happen in the next chapter? Don't know what's gonna happen in the next sentence? No problem. Keep those fingers flying over they keyboard anyway. Whatever seems bizarre or out of place might turn out to be one of the best passages of the novel in the end, and besides, when you edit in December you'll be able to get rid of all the stuff about it you thought was crap when you wrote it.
(Someone had also written the tip "tie yourself to your chair", but I figured that one's not really of my taste.)
That's it! A little peptalk for herself is what the Poet has just written. It's strange, you know, there aren't many that even believe in this, they think I'm crazy. My Mum especially, who's always been the one to believe in me and my writing, thinks it's just a load of bullshit, cause it brings my focus off school and everything. I thought she'd be happy and enthusiastic about it.
But what the heck. I got you guys to back me up!
See you soon!
PS. I've heard week two is the worst. So by the end of this week everything'll go smoothly again. DS.

11 comments:

  1. I follow all these rules except the motivational notes and deadlines, that'd kill me cuz I type and write REALLY slow. Keep to the thoughts of your novel, your mind has to be completely focused to keep every sentence as good or better than the last, I say with little embrassment that while you're sitting on the toilet the best ideas will come, take a notebook if you dont think the ideas will stay, mock as you will but its the best advice I can give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips you've got there :) I wish they would help me write a novel too, I need a distraction, especially right now, studying all day is fine but that can't be all there is, right? Gotta have some fun once in a while! That's why you have got my support on this, as long as it doesn't affect your success in school, I think it's a great activity. And I know you won't let that happen :D So, stay on target! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alev you should try a novel (or novella, short novel) We'll help out on ideas, as long as you have a base we'll keep you afloat, contest or not, its worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL agreed, the best ideas come when you least expect them! =)

    Have you ever tried a novella before (short story), alev? It's loads of fun, you don't get the pressure that writing a novel will put on you, but you get all the other benefits that come with writing longer pieces than poetry =) We'll definitely back you up if you decide to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys, that means a lot =) But I really haven't written anything before (even a short story) and I don't know if I can manage to write sth now. I'm sure you guys would help me out with some story ideas, but I can't really make up fancy sentences, you guys know that from my poetry. Then was is a story without fancy sentences?! xD xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. fanciful ideas and hidden meanings aren't the basis to all stories its the feelings you display in the characters and the setting, If you do a narative then your narrator has to display its feelings on most subjects and make him/her seem alive, real. I think that's something you could do Alev, just give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ryan :) Starting to write a story can be pretty easy, keeping it going is the challenging part. I guess that's the thing keeping me from trying. Because I know, I may give my whole to the writing at the beginning, but it won't last for long. You know what? I actually would like to give it a try, since you guys support me on this, I believe I can keep it going. I will try to write a story as soon as I come up with an idea. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ryan's right, starting out with the idea that you're gonna write a fancylooking story or a story that displays the deepest of messages, is likely to get you nowhere. But if you just take a feeling, that you know really well, you can dress it in words and turn it into a beautiful story, even if you don't think it is while you're at it. One of my, in my own opinion, best short stories was simply based on a single feeling. Nothing more fancy than that! I mean, after all, feelings make up what we are, don't they? They're what makes us human. And just SINCE we all know your poetry, we know you're good at capturing these feelings! Why else would I always comment that your poems are "spot-on" or "really relate to me"? =D =D

    But yeah, I also agree with you, Al. The beginning, and sometimes also the ending, are the easy parts. But as it often turns out, the good parts pop up in the middle where you least expect them to =) and seriously, we're talking about a novella, sometimes it's not even a page long, if you want you can make it up out of the beginning and the ending alone, or just write whatever parts feel the most interesting at the moment, and the rest will come to you, I'm sure.

    You've definitely proved your talent with the pen in your poetry, al, give this a go and we'll do everything to support! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ps. Want ideas? Log on to msn. I got heaps of unfinished spontaneous ideas I'm perfectly willing to share. or maybe we could just bounce some spontaneous thoughts between us and you'll come up with something then :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alev, I'll help with ideas and I can help keep your ideas going.

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories