Monday, November 19

Exploiting The Spotlight

Hear this one out. You're at work, right, at the gas station. And this guy comes in complaining about the high prices on gas. Now, that happens at least once a day, but something about this particular bloke and this particular day and the particular mood you happen to be in, changes things a bit. This customer goes rallying on about how he's always bought the same amount of petrol, 50 litres, and how it used to cost 400 crowns, then 500, and now 600; and you stand there behind the counter, just waiting for him to cough up what it costs, I mean, if he really thinks it's that expensive, why doesn't he just buy for 400 crowns and be happy with how many litres he gets? But no, he's got to tell you this story, which he probably tells at every gas station to everyone that happens to be behind the counter. And you listen to all this, and you realize all you want to sympathetically say is: "Yeah, they should really figure out a cheaper way to exploit the developing countries of their natural resources so that you can save a few bucks on your way from checkpoint A to checkpoint B." But you don't, and why don't you?
Because you're service-mind impersonated. Which is what keeps you around in this business.
So all you do is nod and go, "Agreed, the prices will never cease to rise," while you're thinking of making this perhaps silly little anecdote the subject of your next blog post.
And all of this business make me go thinking of all the people out there working in stores and cafés and boutiques that don't have a single ounce of that service-minded thing. They just scan you from top to toe and spit out, "45,5 crowns," without greeting, without saying goodbye when you leave, and most certainly, without the small talk.
Might just be me, but I'm sick of that kind of people.
When I'm at work, no matter what, if I'm feeling like a sun ray or if all I wanna do is fall apart in some corner and cry my hearts out, I stay service-minded. I smile and I'm happy and I joke with the customers, even those who aren't even regulars, because of two things.
One, nice personnel is what people remember first when they think about a place, and my job is what keeps the family business going. Ensure the family, ensure that smile.
Two, the happier I act, the happier I actually do become. Always thought this was bullshit and didn't work, but it does. Most of the time, you know, can't feel like you're walking on pink clouds 24/7, but at least for most part. Or a small part.
Over to something else, for anyone of you who might have had the patience of reading this far.
Got 27K behind me, soon up in 30. If I reach 30 today I'll be where I should have been by yesterday, so I'm not that far behind. Gonna catch up with all that before I head downtown to pick up my library books.
See ya around.
And thanks for that spotlight.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I wish everyone was like you. Wherever I go (shopping and stuff), I always smile at people, try to have small talks with them and most of them go into some attitude like I'm bothering them.What happened to being friendly, right? Have people become that shallow? You know what; if I ever get a car, I'm buying gas from you. Haha =)
    Wow, 27k, that's a lot of words girl! :D Keep it up and you'll make it! Remember, I'm here for you if you ever need me. =)
    See you later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're both behind you.

    Also I too wish that people were as kind as you If i try to speak to someone at a store the usually force a crooked smile and give my a look that screams 'LEAVE ME THE F**K ALONE'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, what's up with that?? Like, can't they be in bad mood when they're at home? It's really become so rare that people smile at you or talk friendly back to you, that it makes you unreasonably surprised when they do. Should it be like that? No. Let's salvate the world with our laughter and chit-chat. Remember, we don't stop playing cause we grow up, we grow up cause we stop playing! =)
    And thanks buddies for sticking there :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. lol, smile and hold yer tongue, that's the challenge.. yeah i work in the service line too but no matter i try to throw on a mask and smile my head off, even if its a bad day.

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories