Thursday, September 10

About The Nook & My Novel Universe

I feel like being by myself. Writing. Editing, maybe. Pulling a blanket over my head and sleep for a few weeks, maybe. Sit with my laptop on my balcony, maybe, and write there. Yes.
I've made a strange change for the better (I guess that's what it is) in some ways. Like, since I moved here. I know I seem to move a lot. I'm running out of good nicknames for my various residences. There's always gonna be Myntet (literally: The Coin), Kråkboet (Crow's Nest), Lyan (The Lair) and of course, Landet (The Countryside/The Country). And the place we rejoiced at in Finland will always be The Hostel With The Great View (which was slight irony). So, what do I call this new, strange place, these 25 square meters with an extended balcony? So far it has just gone under the name of Halla - which is short for the name of the street and frankly, not very exciting.
I'm quite tempted to baptize the thing as Mitt Krypin - something that would mean sort of, My Nook. Saying it with the determinative article though sounds strange. Krypinet. Weird. The Nook sounds a lot better!
Anyway, that was a sidetrack. I was talking about my change for the better. Well, that doesn't stretch very far. It contains cooking and doing the dishes daily, washing clothes weekly, and cleaning. To be honest there's not much choice with such a small Krypin. One T-shirt on the floor and it looks like the third world war took place there. I guess I benefit quite a lot from having left most of my stuff scattered neatly across the bedroom floor at Mum and Dad's (on The Countryside).
Now I guess the only thing left to salvate is my restless artist's soul who is fighting to thrive right now.

Tomorrow will be neat. Going to a buddy's place to try out the beta of AION Online (getting out September 25th here). Can't wait! It'll light up my day. And it's going to be nice to have a day off. Seems this week I've been doing nothing but covering for everyone at work calling in sick. (And since you all read my stuff extremely thoroughly you by know now that I'm sick myself.) But hey, who cares? Tomorrow is a long, cozy day off and I'm going to isolate myself the entire weekend (besides the 10 or so hours I'll be working).

And about AION. It feels like someone actually visualized what I've been writing for years. After all my top novel universe is one where angels of different races battle eachother over principles and where a few individuals just want peace. Strange similarity, I say. And perhaps here goes the dream I had to make my novels a great MMORPG one day. Even if our creations had nothing to do with eachother really, I think I would still feel like a copycat. A shame. My novels would be pretty perfect to base a game type like this on. Why?

Well. The novels contain four races of angels, plus the humans, who are wingless. The angels in my universe are simply humans with wings. There's nothing divine about them - more like the opposite. The angel races have old grudges against eachother, and even though there has been innocence for many years, things are starting to stir towards war again.

The four different races are Solar, Sea, Storm and Soil angels (actually I had no intention of them all beginning at S, it just turned out that way).

Solars - able to fly high and close to the sun, hence their race name. They have thin wings that can carry them high on the drafts. They're equipped with double eyelids to protect against UV lighting from the sun and a common characteristic is their whitish, practically blank eyes. The top ability of the solars is their speed in flight.

Seas - equipped with gills to breathe underwater, and made to live half underseas, half on land. In water they are exceptionally elegant and swift, a trait that does not always follow them up into free air. Just as the solars they have double eyelids, the transparent layer of which closes and allows for underwater vision. The Seas are often referred to as Dews, which is a patronizing word that plays on their skills in water. The Sea capital is New Atlantis Havens, hidden under the sea surface and enclosed in a giant dome.

Storms - thick-winged and stubborn, residing in the mountains where they have adapted to foggy terrain. Their draft-resistant wings allows them to fly in very heavy winds. It is rumored that Storms possess the ability to conjure winds, thunder and tornadoes. Storms excel in technology and are the original inventors of the angel chopper, which is used for instance as ambulance transports. Storms often scatter their settlements and one of their most known ones is positioned at the Outer and Inner Isles.

Soils - skilled in herbology and nature, the Soils are the top contributors of medical supplies to help centers. It is said they can affect the very earth and seeds by their green fingers. Since the many farm raids by bandits seeing the value in medical stocks, the Soils have grown suspicious and are very protective about their trade. Soils adapt quite quickly to the environment and creates helpful, curing herbs as well as poisonous ones. The top Soil residence is Chrysant City, which is in the midlands.

See?
Perfect race backgrounds...
I'll be back on the subject,
POET in the JAR

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Dust And Memories