Friday, September 18

Calculations & Smart Quotes

Did some modest calculations that if I edit in this pace, it'll take me 50 hours to finish the rough first edit. Wow! I better put another piece of charcoal on, as we would say in Swedish (better quicken up). I don't want the first edit to take 50 days if I can only do one hour a day, so... I'll have to do something about it. Today I have no work and so I have a good few hours off where I can edit away, swell. The worst part isn't editing itself, it's rather fun actually; it's that I'm freaking out I'll miss something, that I'll end up with some spelling mistakes or a sentence that sounds fucked up. It's rather difficult to keep all the editing rules in my head on one hand, and decide if a sentence sounds okay on the other. And I'm not even a tenth into the editing manual - there are tons, and tons, of rules I still haven't plowed through, that I still need to look up and learn. Just doing that takes time. Luckily for me most rules can be bent a little bit to fit my purpose, and since the publisher had my manuscript reviewed and they set the tone for me to edit in, the word 'compromise' definitely comes to mind.

Also I'm gonna need to learn how smart quotes work. I read the wikipedia article on it and I'm not much wiser afterwards.

Alright. Some loud My Chemical Romance and a few hours by myself here - I'll get stuff done in a jiffy!

POET in the JAR

Better not think it's impossible

2 comments:

  1. oh my. have to adore you even more ^^ what a work you have!
    but I suppose that it´s just fine because that´s what you wanna do :)
    luv ya <3

    ReplyDelete

For Dust And Memories